Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  General  ~  280z swap researching
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Hi everyone
First post on here and I have to say this is an amazing site.
On to why I am here. I recently purchased a 1976 280z. the body is in decent shape but the engine is a rats nest and is out of a 1979 280zx. My guess is that someone blew up the original engine did a half assed attempt at a swap. I wouldn’t mind getting that engine running but after hitting a few walls with the wiring I’ve concluded that I am going to swap in something to start with a clean slate. I am not too worried about power anything from 200 and up would be more than enough. So I am currently entertaining a few engine options; a 13b, a f22c, a 4G63, a S54, and a vr6. Sadly this swap won’t be happening for a couple years as I have 1 more year of college left. So for now I am just trying to figure out everything so that I can get right into it when I have the money. The 13b seems the be high maintenance, everyone says the f22c is gutless at low rpm, the S54 is pricey and the vr6 would be a ton of custom fabbing but would be awesome. But I am fairly clueless when it comes to the 4G36 and what it can do. I know most of this will be answered for me as I sift through the forum but would appreciate it if I could get pointed in the right direction. What I am mostly looking for right now is how reliable these engines and transmissions are I have heard that the evo gearboxes are not that robust, does this carry over to the rwd transmissions?