Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Project Cars  ~  4G63 1973 Colt / Galant Wagon
IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Hi everyone. I've been browsing the site a little, i see some old faces and names I've known from other forums over the years and lots of names I've heard through conversations about RWD 4G63 cars.

Earlier this year I flew out to San Francisco sight unseen to purchase a 73 Colt wagon with my girlfriend and a checked bag full of tools I've learned to be important when working on a car road side.

After buying the wagon, nursing it to a hotel and getting a good nights sleep I spent the next day wrenching on things and checking over the important stuff, then I hit the road. By the time I got home I had put almost 3000 miles on the car and spent a week on the road without a problem. That's good old fashioned Mitsubishi engineering hard at work.

The wagon is a 73 that someone had fitted a 77 4G32 2 liter and KM119 5 speed into.

Now the car is sitting with a 4G63T and the KM119 in it, I'm working on wiring for the ECU right now. The engine will run stock boost levels from a stock 14b all from a DSM, the idea to have a reliable 200 horsepower, turbo, light weight, vintage as hell car to engine the summers in. I also have a 76 Colt Sedan, it's a real beauty and clean as can be inside and out, also came with a 2 liter and auto 904. For the intake manifold I'm running an EVO8 intake on a 1G head using a 3/8 thick adapter plate (transitionally ported) that also blocks off the EGR. the injector bungs on the intake need welded shut then i'll mill off the tips, otherwise it's a prety straightforward and clean set up.

Question: KM119 - will this handle the stock 200HP (technically 190 i guess) of the 4G63T? I don't drive like an asshole and I will likely run 7psi (wastegate pressure) so it may be less than 190hp.

pictures:
within an hour of owning it:

Lake Havasu

That's my sedan and my brothers 78 Arrow

Last edited by IncorpoRatedX on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
cruuz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

VERY nice my man, and that Lake Havasu pic is epic. kudos to you for driving it back, i bet u guys had a blast. i try to go cross-country by auto or moto whenever possible
IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Thanks, it was a great time, I'm nearing completion of the 4G63 swap just in time for DSM shoot out.

The idea is that I can get this thing running reliably on the 4G63 and drive it across the country again. The KM119 looks brand new inside. However the question that has yet to be answered:

Quote:
Question: KM119 - will this handle the stock 200HP (technically 190 i guess) of the 4G63T? I don't drive like an asshole and I will likely run 7psi (wastegate pressure) so it may be less than 190hp.
screemin eagle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 pm  Reply with quote
Too Much Time on His Hands

It should hold up no problem as long as you not drifting and holeshoting the crap out of it. Mine broke from sticky stiff wall tires and wheel hop. Car was making low 300whp at the tire

IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

screemin eagle wrote:
It should hold up no problem as long as you not drifting and holeshoting the crap out of it. Mine broke from sticky stiff wall tires and wheel hop. Car was making low 300whp at the tire

You had a KM119 and were pushing around 300hp through it with sticky tires?

If that's the case, that's a huge relief. Thank you for the reply. I've been concerned that I was going to roll onto the throttle to get up to speed in traffic and round off a gear set on stock DSM horsepower.
screemin eagle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am  Reply with quote
Too Much Time on His Hands

Sorry that was the km132 from a D50. There was someone on here that had a stock colt tranny in their car going 11's. Either way they seem to hold up if you don't beat the piss out of it.

IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:17 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

screemin eagle wrote:
Sorry that was the km132 from a D50. There was someone on here that had a stock colt tranny in their car going 11's. Either way they seem to hold up if you don't beat the piss out of it.

Damn, well I wont be beating on it. But like I said, I'd love to drive it across the country again and I'll need to know it can hold up to mountains, with some camping equipment and some bikes on the roof rack, a little boost here and there.
KHRacing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:47 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

very nice car/s.

thanxs for sharning your story with us.
IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Unfortunately the pressure plate of the turbo 4G63 engine didnt completely clear the bell housing of the KM119. I could shim the transmission a touch, but it's senseless to run a clutch that will hold more power than the transmission.

Currently the KM119 is in the car with a stock replacement clutch for the KM119, a very weak looking little bugger.

I need it to at least last me a month so I can get to ohio and back with it, i'll be driving delicately. Then I will search for a replacement. Likely move over to a baby 904 if I can get my hands on one. A KM132 would be fine as well, if I can find one.

I understand the theory of the age, verse what kind of power it was built for, however there's always the phrase 'they dont build things like they used to' and it may hold up to my driving, which is pretty mild. Go slow, look cool.

Thanks for the remarks on the car.

IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

long time no see.

I swapped in a KM132, been driving the shit out of it. got work wheels 15x10/8 combo. Engine bay pic is already old, relocated alternator to other side, have evo 8 turbo ready to go on this weekend.

Mitsu-Mech
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Lose that roof rack and she's perfect! Great job

RaptorReed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Roof Rack is functional!

79 Sigma Wagon
88 Starion 4g64T 5spd swapped
turbostellar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

I like it as is. Rack and all
Mitsu-Mech
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

It's all personal taste, I wasn't saying it should go just for me, but for my taste I'd lose it. Still a great car either way. Just not a fan of this euro crossover movement where racks seem the norm. Spoils a clean car for me

RaptorReed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:37 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

But what if say, it has a factory luggage rack like my wagon does?

I might throw some pics up later. Wink

79 Sigma Wagon
88 Starion 4g64T 5spd swapped
IncorpoRatedX
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:35 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

More recent engine pictures and such