Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Project Cars  ~  Project E30 (pics )
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:53 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

So here goes I picked up a really clean 87 BMW 325I that was sitting at my friends auto body over the course of the 2008 summer. The car belonged to an appraiser who purchased it for his son he sank a ton of money into it to make it look presentable new paint and general maintenance stuff. Then his kid decided he didn't like it and it sat at the shop and mysteriously developed an electrical issue. After talking to the owner I played the car doesn't run card and got a killer deal. Its not much to look at no fancy "M" bumpers or anything like that just a freshly painted pin straight maroon 325i.
So first thing on the agenda was get rid of that junk power plant and eliminate any unnecessary wiring to make room for the 4G63 Smile

Parts list
-So far I have freshly built Eagle Weisco 2.0 combo and a fresh 2G head with FP2x cams and Bee hive springs
-For fuel system I put together a sleeper dual Walbro fuel system which still utilized the stock tank and sending unit with a -8 feed and -6 return.
-For management I am trying a Mirco tech system which I normally would shy away from but the price was right and I have some locals that have had great success with it. So needless to say it will be learning the new software.
- For the drive line I will be using one of Bill's T56 bell housings. With a competiton 6 puck sprung disc and CC pressure plate.
- In the turbo department the exhaust manifold will be fabbed in house with the help of friends. Turbo size is still undecided I have a new turbonetics BB T76 sitting on the shelf that needs to be put to use but I really think its over kill for this project I may just use it to build the mani then buy a T4 35R.

Here are some teaser pics I am in the parts collection stages, hopefully in the next few weeks I will be in the fabrication stages. Enjoy

More to come very soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oldcolt75
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Too Much Time on His Hands

oh wow looking good that will be sooo sweet .. i think it is so funny that people take out a 6 cylinder just to put a 4 cyl in its place
________
THE YAZIDI BRANCH OF YAZDANISM FORUM

Last edited by oldcolt75 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Yea that straight 6 was a turd, the 4G63 is much more turbo freindly. I am hoping to have a 500HP true street car when all is said and done. Dollar for Dollar that would take a lot to replicate useing BMW parts. I need to update this thread,
long block is now compleate.
Some of the fab work completed
made a alternator relocation bracket,
-16AN water neck
-16AN water pump
-10 vented valve cover
manifold coming soon
I know everyone loves pics I promise they will come soon. In the mean time I will give you these to enjoy here's my other money pit (WARNING NOT MITSU) but may very well be 4g63 powered in the near future LOL Check out the last pic a action shot from last season when my fuel rail bracket decided to break off, needless to say we now own a fire suppersion system.

Last edited by Matt Arruda on Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NightlifeD50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:25 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Nothing is better than watching a VW burn!

I'd just let it burn, save the 4g swap for something more worthy

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:49 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

The mitu swap into the VW is just a brain storm at the moment I'm not ready to give up yet on the VW driveline, I have too much invested to turn back just yet. As for letting it burn, It was a thought in my head for a moment. Check out how my 07 season ended thats what happens when you break an axle with a spool Sad
I swear the car is cursed.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/garcia-racing-at-nopi_128313.htm

I gota admit the fire was a little scary being in the car but looking back at the video it looked cool as hell. Damage was minimal new fuel rail, brackets "reinforced", new stand alone harness and we where racing at E-town a week later.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:46 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Heres some pics of differnt projects going on at the shop, the first few are of the manifold we started today around 6:30 we should have the rest tacked up tomorrow. dont mind the intake mani we still need to chop and flip it. Enjoy!

Heres some random fab and projects everything done with a Miller econotig

I'll try to have more pics of the manifold and stand alone tomorrow.
jeffball610
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

500hp in that little 325 chassis? Hope you got some good plans for rear rubber. I thought I was shooting high with my 510 project. I don't doubt you can do it (you've got some great cars) but do you really want to?

Just drop a nice built 2.0L and a decent turbo on there and go have fun. 500hp cars are for the track. 300hp street cars are a blast!

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Right now we are marking up the mani with the big turbo most likley it will be run with a 35R or 4088. We wanted to make sure it was made with the ability to fit the 76mm incase it turns into a race car in the future.
As far as draggin the bumper LOL it would dam be near impossible with the stock IRS. I know that its gona be my weak link but I dont plan on addressing it until winter months Im still undecided as to what to use vette IRS or 4 link 9". Right now I am taking it one step at a time. I cant wait to cruz it around town and bring it to street nights at the drags. Im so sick of big events I wana get back to the basics when it was fun.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Heres some more pics I took today we finished tackin the mani, and have most of the stand alone wired, check out the sleeper muffler I scored on ebay more to come soon

89coltgt
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 am  Reply with quote

The weld ell manifold looks really nice, where did you get the collector?
oldcolt75
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

wait so is that bexaust mani going in the bmw
________
Hemp

Last edited by oldcolt75 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:57 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

89coltgt wrote:
The weld ell manifold looks really nice, where did you get the collector?

Everything was made in-house that is going in a 2G it hangs the turbo over the trans.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:58 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

oldcolt75 wrote:

The mani on the engine stand with the forward facing cast collector is going in the BMW
89coltgt
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

Matt Arruda wrote:
oldcolt75 wrote:

The mani on the engine stand with the forward facing cast collector is going in the BMW

Who makes the cast collectors?
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

89coltgt wrote:
Matt Arruda wrote:
oldcolt75 wrote:

Who makes the cast collectors?

http://hondaswap.com/forced-induction/cast-stainless-merge-collectors-make-your-own-turbo-manifold-107116/

Z10 motorsports

its a nice peice but not divided I may be ditching it to build a divided mani the new turbo is twin scroll
marcky
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

update e-30!!!!! i have 86 325es soon 4g63 swap
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am  Reply with quote
Addict

the manifold design again its coming togeather pretty quick now should be running in 2 weeks. Enjoy

92 GSR-4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Step 1) 4G63 logo on back..........check

Haha I love it! Great fab work all around, the motor looks like its meant to be in there. Sure to be a sweet ride!
nick0900
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Looks good matt, awesome job keep us updated.
77amc
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Can you 'clock' the cold side of the turbo to get a better angle?
I love this build..

E
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:45 am  Reply with quote
Addict

77amc wrote:
Can you 'clock' the cold side of the turbo to get a better angle?
I love this build..

E

We did clock it but the way its pictured is the best position to route the intercooler pipe. I'm not to fond of its position but unless I make a new manifold it's staying that way LOL. Thats what happens when you dont think 10 steps ahead.
Wilbur
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:19 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

AWESOME BUILD!!!! Best of both Worlds.
Somnambulist
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:31 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Nice build for sure. What transmission are you using?
77amc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am  Reply with quote

WELL??

ANY MORE UPDATES?

E
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Sorry guys I have been slacking on updates. As of right now the car is apart. To make a long story short 2 weeks ago we had a timing glitch on the dyno resulting in a pushed heag gasket and melted exhaust valves @ a whopping 370 HP Sad. Since then we had the machine shop rebuild the head and upgraded a few things while it was apart. To compliment our existing bee hive springs we added some new SS valves, new cams. Anyone interested in some extreamly low milage FP2X cams LOL

We also decided to remove the Micro Tech EFI. Now that we have more experience with V3 DSM link it seems to be the right decision at the moment to stick to the sofware that we know best. The current shop AWD car has been pretty sucessful running V3 to an astounding 703 HP so we are confident that the next dyno secsion will be a sucess.
Out with the old

In with the new
This harness took way longer to make then I had originally anticipated, mainly because I have OCD when it comes to messy wiring. It's far from what I had envisioned but much more presentable then the spagetti mess I started with.
Thanks Jeremy for your motivation.

Heres how the car looked before the dyno failer

More updates soon should be running again on Saturday.
2.3strokdtalon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Definitely a good choice swapping to Link. Good luck with everything.

PS Glad you recovered from last Friday. We thought you died from the cold in the VR4. lol

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Thanks Justin, Im sure I will be seeking your expertise come tuning time.

LOL That was a good time I wish I would have made it through the whole night. Next time I need to pace myself and drink a little slower, my mind thinks I'm still in college but my body doesnt agree.
turbostellar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 am  Reply with quote
Addict

your car is coming along great. nice work. looking forward to seeing a video of this baby in action.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:24 am  Reply with quote
Addict

turbostellar wrote:
your car is coming along great. nice work. looking forward to seeing a video of this baby in action.

Here is your video first time time at the track. 11.30 on my third pass. Stock short block and pump gas no cage Sad. We hope to go 10's in this platform.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-at8wT074

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTurbobrian#p/u

Thanks Again Bill!
T(urd)67
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Nicely done. I'm enjoying the color as well. Any idea what the weight of the car is?
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:09 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

T(urd)67 wrote:
Nicely done. I'm enjoying the color as well. Any idea what the weight of the car is?

Thanks man, it weighed 2760 with me in it, and I weight 160 lbs so 2600 dry
jeffball610
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

More info on the car.

What kind of gearing do you have in the rear end? Is that a W58 or R154? What size turbo are you running? E85, pump gas or race gas? Did you get a clean dyno run to get us a HP number?

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

We have a M3 4.10 LSD rear, we use Bill's T56 bell housing with a single disc comp. clutch. turbo is a PTE billet 6262 boost was at 21 psi on 93 pump gas. Unfortunatly we did not have time to dyno it this motor was assembled days before this event we literally broke it in on that pass. Probbly wouldnt recomend that to anyone but we could not miss the event so we took our chances. Weeks prior we hurt our built motor so this is a stock short block cast 2g piston 1g rod motor with arps. If I were to guess it was probbly making about mid 400's HP. We will have dyno numbers before Ohio we plan on turning it up a bit.
turbotalon1g
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

God i love this car, awesome work now i have another reason to make the shootout/whatever major DSM meet is going on these days.
Bill Hincher
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Donating Member

thanks for the kind words matt, my hats off to you, you sure made a nice swap

what happened on the Gm auto trans set up?

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Both still in the works the tube chassis dragster has been a slow progress, at this point its mobile again and can roll around the shop but very far from done. We picked up another BMW what we are going to do the same thing with but use your auto adapter on it.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Once again as stated before Bill is the man !

Last edited by Matt Arruda on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dees75z
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:32 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

I thought that was you at the shootout. Congrats on the successful runs man, car was flawless.................................... and really moves out man!!!!!
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Thanks for the kind words,

I will be attending Import Maddness at NED Sept 25th hopfully i can report back with better numbers the current personal best is 10.77 @ 124 1.55 60'
smog
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:22 am  Reply with quote
Sir Post A Lot

Great work man, Love the swao, looks great.

78 lancer coupe g54bT
88 minicab van estate supercharged
80s hero
dsmbuggy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Great work Matt.
I cant wait to be next to you at the track. Twisted Evil

Don
TsTKl
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

do you think you could post a datalog of your 10.9x pass, I have dsmlink and I'm curious as to how the gearing of my t-56 will be. Our rear ends will be different but it would be cool to see it. You can hide everything you want to I think, I just care about speed and rpm vs. time. If you want a screen shot will suffice. Thanks man, and congrads on a sick build. I hear you on the ocd wiring stuff, lol.

Brian
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

TsTKl wrote:
do you think you could post a datalog of your 10.9x pass, I have dsmlink and I'm curious as to how the gearing of my t-56 will be. Our rear ends will be different but it would be cool to see it. You can hide everything you want to I think, I just care about speed and rpm vs. time. If you want a screen shot will suffice. Thanks man, and congrads on a sick build. I hear you on the ocd wiring stuff, lol.

Brian

Brian unfortunatly I have no data from that weekend. My laptop decided to take a dump so I just ran the car on a pump gas map. As far as the data your looking for I dont have any speed vs RPM logs because I havent got the speed sensor dialed in yet. The didget the ECU to register speed off the GM VSS but I have yet to calibrate it. If you watch any of my video's youll notice I leave off a free rev because I cant use the 2 step without a working VSS. I should have some good data after my next outing which is the NJ event at the end of this month. I made a few changes to sqeeze out a little more power. But we wont see the full potential of the car untill next year when the roll bar goes in. I have been getting my chops busted at the track for lack of saftey equipment every time I attend. My local track is 2 hours away and the last time we went up I made one 11.0 pass and they told me to leave. Ill keep you posted on my progress
need2boostpsi
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

are you still using the stock fwd style oil pan? any advice on that? I building a high hp (800rwp+/-) car and plan on using the oem oil pan, looks pretty well baffled. I plan on going to a custom unit once i get the project driving and funds can build back up.
Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 am  Reply with quote
Addict

need2boostpsi wrote:
are you still using the stock fwd style oil pan? any advice on that? I building a high hp (800rwp+/-) car and plan on using the oem oil pan, looks pretty well baffled. I plan on going to a custom unit once i get the project driving and funds can build back up.

No I made a new pan because I had oil starvation issues on my 1st 2 motors. So since then I added a 3 qt accusump and made a larger capacity pan with additional baffling. It is probbly overkill but I was sick of loosing motors so I took every precaution I could without going dry sump. I think a slightly modified stock pan with additional baffles would do the trick. We just made another one like this for the S2000 I will try to snap pics tonight for you.
need2boostpsi
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:55 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

That would be great!
77amc
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 am  Reply with quote

You still here Matt?

I was supposed to get a '99 328i cabrio friday, got home a tiny bit late and called to give directions to my place, and I get... "..He closed early, and won't be back til Monday.." Mad

Anywho, It's got a bad motor but it's an AUTO.. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.
I've been wanting a later BMW since the E30's came out and have missed a few since then.

Do you mind if I shoot ya a pm later this week?
BOY. I regret NOT getting those cams from you when I had the chance. Embarassed

If ya don't mind, here's a pic..

Errol

Matt Arruda
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:03 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Looks good Errol, did you give up on your other project? I've always liked the newer boldy style BMW's there only down fall is weight Sad. Us drag racing guys need all the help we can get. Whats your intentions for this project? If theres anyway I can help feel free.
77amc
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

The Hornet is still 'simmerin' in the shop. I've got some projects that need to get put together and sold before I start back on it.

For the BMW, I'd like to get it running (pretty much stock) and enjoy it during the nicer weather. And by that time I should be finished building the 2.4 turbo motor and finalizing the plans for trans/wiring and fitments.

I really don't know much about the make. BUT am learning as much as I can every day.

BUT back to you..? What's been happnin with you?

HEY.. What type of mileage do you get? It might sound silly but I was hopping to get in the mid 20's with the 2.4
I'd doubt that I would make over 350hp just for reliability sakes.

E

PoorMans180SX
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Could you post a shot of how your power steering pump is mounted? I'm looking at relocating mine and need ideas.

Really cool project btw, I've always enjoyed E30's!