Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Project Cars  ~  Project: 89 240sx Coupe w/ 4G63
Somnambulist
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:04 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

So my contact in Japan got back to me. He said there IS a longer version of the R154 for the Soarer/Chaser. It doesn't have a longer shifter portion, the whole transmission itself is longer. This may be an option for me depending on the cost of the trans itself and the cost of shipping. I'm also getting some exact dimensions on it so I can be sure before I drop the money to get it shipped from Japan.

BTW DoubleJ, where are you located?
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 am  Reply with quote
Addict

I am in N. Seattle, WA

Somnambulist
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:45 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Damn long ways away.
shroder15
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

The trans on the chaser/soarer is longer BECAUSE it has a different rear housing. It not the entire trans...similiar to the th350 transmissions. But, along with the end being longer, you need the longer internal shifter selector rod...or you can modify it to work. But there are 2 different ends...you dont have to buy that trans if you can get your hands on the back portions. Check it out on the website I posted...2jzswap.com and look at the 240sx portion. Same issue as us!

facebook.com/justiceracingteam
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:53 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

It has been awhile since I have posted. I got an awd for the winter and it didnt even snow!!! But I am still working on the project. Slowly but surely! The date I am shooting for is August 1st!

I have been through 3 other DSMs since i last posted lol. But now focusing on the 240.

The newly planned mod list:

780cc Injectors
Evo 16g
Methanol
16 gal Fuel Cell
A1000 Fuel Pump ($150 bucks!!)
A1000 regulator
stock 7.8:1 6 bolt motor
chip (until the car is running for awhile then goin with ECMtune)
Evo 8 Intake Manifold
Polyurethane Motor Mounts

Right now I just deleted the balance shafts and i am putting the motor back together etc

Last edited by DoubleJ on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Welded and resurfaced EVO 8 Intake manifold:

kyle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:46 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

You're in Seattle? I just started a swap like this about a week ago. Im still piecing together an engine and tranny combo. My only concern is that I just got done with my RHD swap, so i'm afraid the 6 bolt will have turbo clearance issues with the brake booster/master or the steering column. Im sure its nothing some custom fab work wouldnt take care of though.

Yours is lookin good so far!
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:46 am  Reply with quote
Addict

kyle wrote:
You're in Seattle? I just started a swap like this about a week ago. Im still piecing together an engine and tranny combo. My only concern is that I just got done with my RHD swap, so i'm afraid the 6 bolt will have turbo clearance issues with the brake booster/master or the steering column. Im sure its nothing some custom fab work wouldnt take care of though.

Yours is lookin good so far!

Thanks. So you are going a 240sx? Where are u located?

kyle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:01 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Im in Lakewood. I've been into 240s for quite awhile. I started building my RHD shell and then was brainstorming engines. I had a 240 with an SR20 (it just got stolen a week ago) and I was just going to swap that into the RHD chassis. Now thats its gone i've decided just to go 4g instead. I think it will work out pretty well.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:34 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

kyle wrote:
Im in Lakewood. I've been into 240s for quite awhile. I started building my RHD shell and then was brainstorming engines. I had a 240 with an SR20 (it just got stolen a week ago) and I was just going to swap that into the RHD chassis. Now thats its gone i've decided just to go 4g instead. I think it will work out pretty well.

Pretty coo.. we will have to crash the NWN meet next year huh lol. With the mighty max motor mounts I can directly mount the motor in. But I need to move it farther towards the firewall.

Im gettin pretty close to gettin the motor all bolted down. Should have a good amount of picts in the next 2 weeks. Im also working on mounting my fuel cell and battery. Deciding how much of the trunk I want to cut to mount em.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Update.... (most people have high speed internet these days so I posted a good amount of picts)

Anybody else besides me get all giddy when you see 3g/revised lifters? lol

The Lip of the crossmember seemed like it was gonna be in the way so I cut it. In the picture its only 1/4 of the way cut.

Polyurethane Motor Mount

The lip cut to accomodate the oil pan.

4g63 with Mighty max motor mounts. No modifications done to any of the mounts. Im amazed at how well it fits. Its pretty crazy that it is pretty much dropping in.

The oil pan is resting on the crossmember. So you can see the space the motor needs to drop. But intead of dropping the motor im just going to make a mount spacer and raise the engine. (Hopefully the hood will still shut etc etc)

Drivers side.

Passengers Side.

Since the mounts line up so well i think im just going to live with the shifter location. I will probably end up welding up a custom extended shifter. I just cut room and will close up all the holes later. so all you will see is a shifter in the stock location. I can deal with 4-5 inches away from the stock hole and I still have room for my CAS sensor and water neck.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 am  Reply with quote
Addict

I cant beleive that I had a motor sitting in here a year ago!!! i just got distracted with too many projects / people lol. This time I am hoping to be starting her up in august........

92 GSR-4
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Double J,

Great post man, this is an excellent swap.

If theres an issue with raising the engine, you may look into cutting the cross member in the middle, and rewelding it in a fashion that will allow clearance for the motor. That way, the mounts for the rack can still be utilized. If the motor is still hitting the outside parts of the crossmember, you may have to redesign it and get creative with the rack mounts.

Good luck and keep posting!
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

I put in the spacers and now the oil pan clears everything. put the hood on for a test fit and right before the hood is about to latch all the way down it hits the cam gears. I think i can work around it and notch the hood or something.

Spacers

Pretty good amount of room for the o2 housing and exhaust.

kyle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:38 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Hows it coming man?

I just got evo manifolds and a 16g today. Still trying to source a complete 6 bolt.

I picked up a d50 tranny, but im just afraid it'll blow up in a week, so I'm trying to find a good manual tranny that I can buy a bellhousing adapter for.

Still gotta make sure the turbo will clear the brake booster and steering column. I'll take some pictures of what I've got going so far....
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Its going great. I havent had much time to work on it. I have a radiator that is in the mail right now. I went with a Godspeed aluminum radiator and it came with fans.

That would be cool to see your progress...

Last edited by DoubleJ on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

kyle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:06 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Cool man, have you seen the nissan/mitsubishi meet that coming up in Aug? I wish my car was done, thats a perfect first show for it.... haha

Im just not sure about this d50 tranny..... you think its worth fabbing up everything to work with it? Im just not sure its gonna hold up.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:41 am  Reply with quote
Addict

man........ I need to get this car done! nissan AND Mitsu meet.... that would be perfect!

nicksk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:16 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

from witch car is the transmision and hosing from
it bolts nice to each other
nick
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

nicksk wrote:
from witch car is the transmision and hosing from
it bolts nice to each other
nick

Toyota Supra - R154 5 spd Transmission

Mitsubishi Mighty Max Motor Mounts

Evo 8 Intake manifold.

what hosing are you asking about?

Arktis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

DoubleJ wrote:
what hosing are you asking about?

I think he meant housing.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

OOOooo that makes sense. ( I read it fast )

so yep. R154 5spd with one of bills billhousings

Spoolin4g63
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

I'm trying to piece out this same swap, but using a w58 instead of a R154. The problem I foresee myself running into is the shifter location. How do you plan on extending the shifter position? I found this kit online, but at $325, this piece is going to end up costing almost as much as both bills housing and the w58 trans!

http://www.myjzswap.com/ecom/Swap-Kits/Shifter-Extension-Service/prod_156.html

How are others extending their tail housings.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Spoolin4g63 wrote:
I'm trying to piece out this same swap, but using a w58 instead of a R154. The problem I foresee myself running into is the shifter location. How do you plan on extending the shifter position? I found this kit online, but at $325, this piece is going to end up costing almost as much as both bills housing and the w58 trans!

http://www.myjzswap.com/ecom/Swap-Kits/Shifter-Extension-Service/prod_156.html

How are others extending their tail housings.

that looks pretty sweet. Im thinking about just cutting the stock shifter and welding a new piece on....

orrrrr I was going to see if any toyota truck has a shifter that might fit into the r154 that is already bent out and down then back up. some trucks already have a shifter stock thats like the one I want to make.

TsTKl
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

you probably know this or are ok with working around it, but you do realize that the evo 8/9 turbos are not direct bolt ons to dsm 4g63s, right? The manifold will bolt to the cylinder head, however since the turbo and manifold were designed to be on the other side of the engine after the motor was flipped in the evo 4, they do not account for the extra space needed because of the balance shaft. This buldge in the block makes it so you have to grind down the compressor housing and run a spacer on the exhaust manifold. I think if you run a large enough spacer you don't have to grind down on the turbo, but because there is so much material there on the turbo you can make the spacer required significantly smaller.

I plan on running the evo 9 turbo as well at some point, but for now the evo 3 turbo will have to do. Btw evo x turbos are smaller, on top of being completely different.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:32 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

(not tryin to be a dick in this reply)

yes i realize they are not a "direct" bolt on. If i wanted to use one I could, i have a spacer etc. butt I actually have an EVO 3 installed. and from first hand experience you can bolt a evo turbo to a dsm.

the story lol: so I sold an evo 8 turbo to this guy and I kept telling him its not a direct bolt on. they kept saying over and over that it will mate up to the evo 3 exhaust. I kept telling him that its not going to work. he bought it anyways.... a week later my buddy calls me up and tells me he sold a dsm part to a guy with a 1G that had a Evo 8 16g. It was the same guy. He put the compressor and center section into the evo 3 exhaust housing. and still got 3-5 pounds!! lol I cant beleive it even ran. Think about it, the exhaust gasses are hitting the blades the wrong way!!! hahah

anything is possible ya know. just look at all of these projects.

Update: no update, i been wayyyy to busy it really sucks because im getting really close to it being done.

Mr Hyde
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Double J.

I searched online and couldn't find a creative steel motor mount website.
Who did you order your motor mounts from, whats the part number, and how much did they cost?

Mr Hyde
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:57 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Mr Hyde wrote:
Double J.

I searched online and couldn't find a creative steel motor mount website.
Who did you order your motor mounts from, whats the part number, and how much did they cost?

Mr Hyde

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90-91-92-93-240SX-Urethane-Engine-Motor-Mounts-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ330462355274QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$100

Mr Hyde
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Thanks for the link! Razz
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Quick Update:
I am using a GVR4 water neck that doesnt have a cap. I had to reweld the neck so that it wouldnt run into the firewall. The cap is on the radiator.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

How the car sits now:

Godspeed Alluminum Radiator

using the stock 240sx throttle cable

Last edited by DoubleJ on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

JDOliver
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Looking great DoubleJ.
Want3d
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Man your really impressive!! this gives me alot of motivation to build something similar to your project!!
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:19 am  Reply with quote
Addict

If only I had more time! The things i could accomplish lol. Wish this thing would be done already. Been way too busy. But no rush and its fun when I have the time.

New suspension pieces:

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Finally took 3-4 hours to work on the car. Found out that the motor mounts pretty much lined up.

SOoooo.. recapping the project. Using mighty max motor mounts. small spacer, R154 Transmission. And a small spacer for the trans mount. Everything bolted in lol. It was pretty easy.

Im really suprised more people arent doing these swaps, especially with how many parts there are for the S chassis and how well this is all fitting together.

Update Pictures:

Cut and drilled these pretty quickly.

Spacer Upside-Down

Notice the top of the picture I cut the shifter hole larger.

The Toyota trans mount holes lined up with the chassis holes. But the trans was pointing towards the rear passenger side too much. so to straighten it I drilled my own holes on the edge.

On the other side I just made a spacer because on the Nissan this side of the stock mount is higher. (The R154 trans mount is flat instead of offset like the nissans)

I forgot to take of the center mount. Wont be needed.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Modified water pump. The water neck came off of some chevy car. Even has a nice fitting for a turbo water line.

Not the prettiest but it works.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:17 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

I went to the local driveshaft shop and had them make me a one piece driveshaft. I supplied a toyota yoke and the nissan driveshaft. They ended up just using the toyota yoke and supplied all new parts (bearings etc). That cost me $315. And i payed $35 for the toyota driveshaft. So the total cost was $350 for a custom toyota to nissan driveshaft.

When you look at somethin like this it definitely makes you feel good about the drivetrain.

Next is fitting the fuel cell...

omgosh
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:06 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Just registered for this thread Very Happy

So you're using Mighty Max mount brackets, and 240sx poly mounts right? Also, how much did you spend getting the evo intake manifold to match up?
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 am  Reply with quote
Addict

omgosh wrote:
Just registered for this thread Very Happy

So you're using Mighty Max mount brackets, and 240sx poly mounts right? Also, how much did you spend getting the evo intake manifold to match up?

Yep. It was around or under $100. I took it to 2 different places. Probably would be cheaper to have one shop do all the work.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Update:

The new welded water pump peice is in the way of the power steering bracket and pump. Looks like I will run no power steering until I find a electric pwr steering pump or a different solution. (MR-2 pump etc) Of course I could swap out the water pump, but I like the setup and I just wanna get this car running.

If the guy who welded the peice did a better job and made it straight I probably wouldnt have this problem. Sort of my fault because I didnt factor in the bracket etc.

All of that aside the project must go on.

(Starting to look like a 'real' engine bay!)

Painted Water Pump -

Jay racing Alternator relocation kit. I highly recommend this kit if you want to change your alternator location. Its pretty pimpin. -

I also deleted the ISC and made a blockoff plate and gasket. (not pictured)

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:12 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Update: (Me acting like I know what im doing lol....)

With the alternator relocation the belt was pretty close to the
motor mount so I grinded it to make room.

Next, Intercooler piping:

How its sitting now.. more to come......

Kind of dreading the wiring harness but its coming up soon....

omgosh
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

What are you planning on using for an ECU? I would suggest one from a 2001-2005 MT 2.4 3g Eclipse, federal model. They are the same hardware as the Evos and can be reflashed with free software. LMK if you have any questions..

Also have you seen the guy on Ebay who does custom shifter extensions for like $225? That might make life a little easier.
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:56 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

omgosh wrote:
What are you planning on using for an ECU? I would suggest one from a 2001-2005 MT 2.4 3g Eclipse, federal model. They are the same hardware as the Evos and can be reflashed with free software. LMK if you have any questions..

Also have you seen the guy on Ebay who does custom shifter extensions for like $225? That might make life a little easier.

I am using a chipped ECU. Eventually would like to go to ECMlink.

$225 is a bit pricey for this swap. trying to keep cost down. I have definitely thought about buying an extension though.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

omgosh wrote:

Just wanted to make a point of how straight forward this swap has been. Really, this is the only major "problem" that Ive had. I might have a small issue with the hood closing but im not too worried because there are simple ways to fix that. (its really close, barely hits the timing cover before latching.

You read all these forums of how hard it would be to swap but I hope to see more of these. Especially with how balanced these chassis are and the availabilty of parts.

jjrock5
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

How do you plan on implementing (connecting) the Evo TPS (since you're using an Evo intake mani) with a DSM harness?
Arktis
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

DoubleJ wrote:
I am using a chipped ECU. Eventually would like to go to ECMlink

As an ECMLink user, you will never look back once you get it.

You can use an ECMLink until the day you die, and you'll never run out of features. You'll pretty much be making this face the whole time.
TsTKl
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:13 am  Reply with quote
Addict

jjrock5 wrote:
How do you plan on implementing (connecting) the Evo TPS (since you're using an Evo intake mani) with a DSM harness?

wouldn't it work just like a 2g? Just move the idle signal wire over to the harness and call it a day?
DoubleJ
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 am  Reply with quote
Addict

TsTKl wrote:
jjrock5 wrote:

wouldn't it work just like a 2g? Just move the idle signal wire over to the harness and call it a day?

Im sure its something simple like that. I just havent done the research yet.

Edit: if you can use a Evo 8 ECU in a 1G and 2G. And if you can use the Q45 TPS. It should be pretty straight forward and work.

DoubleJ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:45 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Update! lol I bought a 37 degree flare tool (makes hardlines fit up to -AN tube sleeves) and flared my stock gas hardlines. Also I cut out the trunk for the fuel cell. Im in "just get it done mode right now." Also I mounted the fuel pump and mounted the methanol pump and reservoir.

I will probably use some sheet metal to enclose this later

$30 37 degree flare tool

Pretty dirty. Waiting till i can move the car and pressure wash everything

Battery location behind the passengers seat

92 GSR-4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Wow....Great build. Keep it up!