Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Swap Mechanical  ~  AWD vs FWD flywheel and starter with a d50 transmission
B_Bugieda
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:12 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of converting my starion to run on a narrowblock 6 bolt 4g63. I made the decision to go with the d50 transmission because my power goals are not extreme and I am looking to keep the overall budget manageable.

One situation I have run into is that the engine I had purchased came with a brand new ACT streetlite flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc, all for a 1G talon. From what I have read in the transmission options page nothing from this setup is usable, except for maybe modifying the disc to have the proper 1" 23 count spline center (if this is even possible).

After doing research around this site I was so excited when I saw Bill Hincher say that he uses the AWD version of the flywheel in all his setups on this tread:

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2772

Bill Hincher wrote:
the AWD flywheel is 270mm in diameter, the FWD is 280mm in diameter, they use the same starter and clutch, the difference was the engineers needed to clear the rear drive to the AWD converter

I use the 270mm AWD flywheel on all my stuff because its lighter and the turbo spools faster
]

There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether or not the same starter can be used or if this is even a viable setup, and I also saw no mention of anyone trying this with a d50. To backup what he says, the AWD and FWD starter is listed as the same part number on autozone: DLG5168

My main question is has anyone tried what I am suggesting, using an AWD flywheel & pressure plate, with a d50 transmission, and a narrowblock? And what were your results?

If it can work this way, all I would need is a DSM starter and to modify the clutch disc I have / order a new clutch disc, which is certainly less expensive than a new flywheel & pressure plate combo.

My other hope is that other people coming here could benefit from using the more commonly available AWD parts (by way of part-outs), reducing the overall cost of their build.

Thanks you in advance for any input/suggestions/ideas you have to share, without this website I certainly would have give up or never even attempted this project to begin with!