Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Swap Mechanical  ~  4G64 Exhaust Questions
teamtestbot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:42 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Greetings,

I'm trying to search for a compatible exhaust header for the '89 4G64 in my Van. It's the SOHC 8-valve version, and as far as I can tell using the Mitsu engines chart, is considered a wide-block.

The interesting problem is that the exhaust and intake ports are NOT evenly spaced. They are grouped together as cylinders 1,2 and 3,4. I can find 4G64 compatible products such as for the Mighty Max and Eclipse, but they all seem to be for evenly-spaced ports. Here's a photo of the port spacing.

(These photos were taken when I took the van for an engine rebuild last year)

Here is what the head looks like.

This was pre-rebuild. The engine's service history is not known to me, as I bought the van non-running with no service docs, but it runs great now!

So my questions I suppose are:

1. Does anyone know of a vehicle with similar head ports for which custom exhaust products are available?

2. Is there such a thing as an evenly-spaced port SOHC 4G64 wideblock head that would bolt on to the block, and what vehicle would have had it?

For full disclosure, the real reason why I am asking is that the exhaust manifold is cracked and I would like to remedy that. But since the rest of the exhaust has also been slowly melting away, I'm thinking of replacing it with aftermarket parts, such as dual Flowmasters, a cutout somewhere, etc. for the ironic racecarness.

Here is the van in all its glory.

turbostellar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:36 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

You can use a die grinder, grind a groove in the crack and weld it. I did it on mine and drove it for years with no issues. It was the same exhaust manifold as what you have
xJLCx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

old turbo colts had this same 8v head, you could just get a sohc head off a galant 16v and slap it on, may require different pistons though. wide blocks and narrow blocks take the same heads. so even a dohc swap would work pending piston clearance.