Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Project Cars  ~  RWD 1g GSX
cruuz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

ok everyone, i finally feel like i have something worthwhile to post up Cool
i've had this car for a while now, and like many other daydreamers thought it would be awesome to go rwd. i also fully intend on retaining power steering, a/c ect. a while back i ran upon this site and here we go >
this is before.....the last awd race session for a while

car was already down due to a broken t-belt which bent a bunch of valves, so i decided to pull everything, motor+trans, t-case, axles, front suspension. rebuilt the head with new stainless valves, seals

my car is an hour and a half away from where i live, sitting in my parents garage, and the thought of hauling the block back and forth for mock up was killing me, so i took a bunch of measurements and built this beauty Laughing

i'll be using a d50 trans for now. as many might be thinking already, there's a big fat k-member in the way of any rwd trans in a dsm. i'm in the middle of working that out now.....

i got a d50 driveshaft with the trans i bought(thanks Hill), so i slapped it in just to get a rough idea of clearance........not only does it bolt straight up to my factory rear end, i might not even need to get the length modified Shocked

even with the trans this far forward, there's still a ton of room up front for everything, but i havent made any final decisions yet on placement. one thing to note is that if i shorten the driveshaft about 2-2.5" the shifter will line up in my console right where it needs to be. that also obviously gets my weight that much farther back. i'm waiting to see what the steering is going to look like. here's the 'motor' bolted up to the trans at factory d50 driveshaft length. clears the hood, CAS, and the front cross brace(that prolly won't stay anyways)

i'm going to lift the trans up into the tunnel about another 3/4" if space works out. i'm also thinking that a powered mustang rack is what will be handling the steering duties, but i need to get out to the scrapyard to take some measurements. it would move the rack from being encased by the k-member to in front of the axle(or where the axles would have been anyways Very Happy ) i sent my intake mani out to a friend to have a plate tig'd onto the other end of the plenum for the TB. going up to work on the revised k-member design this weekend
KHRacing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Really cool build. thanxs for sharing. check out my thread as to how much i has to cut the firewall ang propshafttunnel

k
cruuz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

yeah i noticed how much you had cut out, i'm really hoping that i don't end up having to do any of that. the most i'm planning right now is to get rid of this little 'ridge' at the front edge of the trans tunnel, i'll prolly just use a sledge and invert it up into the body. or if i tear into the console under the dash and find that i'm not going to catch the entire car on fire by cutting/welding i might just section it out and replace with a bit of flat sheetmetal. either way, doing this will give me almost another 1" of room to snug the trans upward some more. here's the ridge >

at this point i've estimated i'll have about 4" of ground clearance between the lowest point of the bellhousing and the street, and close to the same for the oil pan, this being at the current ride height. i want to get my car lower than it was in the first pic, which was about 2-2.25" lower than stock iirc. it was lower when i first installed all the suspension bits, but i did some weight redux and i gained about .25" Confused current setup is koni's in agx bodies with suspension technics springs(which haven't been produced for a while a far as i know) i really like the springs, but want to drop about another 1", maybe more. unfortunatly i think i'm going to need coilovers to do that.

does anyone happen to have measurements for a powered mustang steering rack? it's been raining here and i'm not too excited about the thought of slogging around in the mud at the scrapyard

and just for shits, here's a pic of the moto i built last year Very Happy
1979 yamaha xs750, converted to chaindrive from the stock shaft drive
KHRacing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 am  Reply with quote
Addict

I have 12cm (close to 5") groundclearance,
The evo´s inner metal arches are really strange built so i cannot
lower the car more than perhaps 1 more inch.. unless i put on spacers that are
lige 2-3" wide...
galantvr4412
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

i can wait to see how this turns out i've been thinking doing this for some time now. Bump!
cruuz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Anybody see a problem with using a rhd steering rack out of a 240sx and flipping it to move it in front of the axle-line?
KHRacing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

No prpblemo, just check the steeringarms out of the rack for lenght Smile
cruuz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Or maybe I should just stick with a rhd rack from an evo 1-3, I bet the power steering pump is the same or very similar to the 1g. Hmmmm......
cruuz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:13 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

Grrrrrrrrrr just spent 4 days at my parents house remodeling their kitchen, and having to walk past my project without working on it Confused i just wanna finish the damn thing
cruuz
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

No major fabrication news, but a huge step forward in the build. Bought a house with a 4 car garage, and finally got to move the project in Very Happy Work will progress much quicker now that its only steps away, that is after I'm done recovering from hernia surgery Confused Pics

Next step is to get it up on blocks and make room for fab
Cool