Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Project Cars  ~  Project JDMvette
CarRacer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:19 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

We started the initial baby steps for our swap project. The car itself is a Chevette we run in the Chump Car endurance races. We just completed a 24 hour race at Iowa Soeedway in May, finishing 11th. We have two more races this year, one in Brainerd in July that we may not make and another race at Iowa in September that we will make.

We just ordered our bellhousing and will be going with the T5 transmission. Due to the stock drive train limits and the rigors of endurance racing we will be running a 13g turbo on stock boost.

Link to more pictures and an in car video

CarRacer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Well, we accomplished the easiest part of this swap and got the motor bolted into place. Everything looks great and the bell housing couldn't have been better. Now onto the other 99% of this build.

The motor is in place.

[url][/url][url][/url]
Bill Hincher
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:11 am  Reply with quote
Donating Member

get'r doooooone!!!!!!! >;o)

CarRacer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:39 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Got to work on the fuel injection conversion this week and added a surge tank and got everything plumbed to the fuel cell.

More fuel injection conversion pictures.
CarRacer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Got a few more things done lately. I installed the turbo intake, MAS, and air filter. There wasn't enough space to run it all in the engine bay so I had to put the air filter on the outside of the core support. Luckily we run solid engine mounts so nothing will move and I can run it like this. I also got the aluminum radiator mounted, the radiator came out of a forklift and was the only thing that would fit. Even a half sized Civic radiator was too tall. In the pictures, it's just sitting in there but I finished the mounting brackets today and didn't snag any pictures of them. Working on the radiator hoses is going to be the next hurdle. Getting the water pump outlet to 180* and getting the thermostat housing hose to run under the intake will both be interesting. I have a couple j-bends that should help in the creation of hard pipes and eliminate the issue of long rubber radiator hoses collapsing.

CarRacer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:58 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Rigged up a ghetto top mount intercooler for the car.
CarRacer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 am  Reply with quote
Addict

It runs and moves under its own power now.

Walk around of it while it sits idling.
Bill Hincher
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 am  Reply with quote
Donating Member

OUTSTANDING!
I dig it man, you accomplished more in 6 weeks then most guys do in a year!

CarRacer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:01 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Well, it was a team effort. Pops provided a great place and all of the tools to build the thing, financed it, and worked on it with me and was there when I couldn't be.

I'm just glad it's done and my stupid idea wasn't a waste of time and money. I'll try and link some videos of it at the race this weekend.
Bill Hincher
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 am  Reply with quote
Donating Member

this is a 24 hour endurance race? maybe you might use a bigger radiadar?

CarRacer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:25 am  Reply with quote
Addict

It should be sufficient. It's very similar in size to a civic half size radiator but twice as thick. There will be a ton of airflow in this race as well. It's a 1 mile banked oval, so we will be averaging over 70 mph laps. We also have a big ass oil cooler to help share the load.
CarRacer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 am  Reply with quote
Addict

I guess the hood didn't like having a turbo at boost under it for 12 hours.
I did a small write up from the pits about our race so far.

After I wrote that, we continued to finish the 25 hour race and ended up finishing 19th out of 48. The oil cooler caught a rock in the final hour, so we had to loop the line on the oil filter housing. We also lost water somehow and the motor got hot a couple times. It still ran at the end of the race but it may be hurt from the high temps it saw. Overall it was a big success in my book. This was an invite only race, with all podium finishers of previous races and a few other teams the promoters deemed notable. We were one of the notable teams, as we have never placed in the top 3, and I think we did damn good.

I'm glad this website existed. It gave us the idea, information, and access to people with the skills to help complete this build and finish the race as well as we did.[/img]
Bill Hincher
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 pm  Reply with quote
Donating Member

doode Very Happy

Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler have all built race cars that couldnt last 24 hour endurance races, after envesting millions of dollars
Luck is the aftermath of hard work and skill, I would say you did pretty good

now lets get ready for the next one >;o)

CarRacer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

In car video from the oval segment of the race. We passed a lot of cars there and the motor performed flawlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycVxoEI8DU
CarRacer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

Took the car to the track for a shakedown before the first race of the season at Road America. Nothing fell off, so it was a success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEkAp6pN0h8
idreamidrive
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 pm  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

and I just moved away from Road America. far far away. sucks that I can't see this thing in person.
CarRacer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:02 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Here's the car on the front straighaway at Road America. We finished Saturday's 7 hour race but had issues with our new Wilwood brake setup. I was worried about picking too aggressive of a pad and locking up the tires but I picked a compound that didn't hold up to the speeds we were going. They worked great up until then though, so we're continuing on making progress with the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlfj5cywuww
KHRacing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Addict

very cool build, thanxs for sharing
CarRacer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:33 am  Reply with quote
Addict

Updating this. Changed the front end around to a tubular style setup. No suspension stuff got moved around aside from the shock mounts but those aren't anything crazy. Radiator is a civic half size and now fits in between the core support and hood. Intake piping and oil cooler got moved as well now that the fender wells aren't an issue.

Overall, I'm happy with the changes and I'm glad they got done. First race of the year is coming up on April 19 at Road America. It's two 7 hour races, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Should be fun if the weather cooperates.

In progress pics:

Video of the car warming up after initial test firing.

Finished: